Every website is different and certain things we do to some are not done to others. Steps 6-8 are only done at the request of the customer, although we will recommend them to you as we see fit. Below is an outline of our process that we use to get your website ranked as high as possible in the search engines. More information is available in your client center. Feel free to click on the gold links below to find out more information about the given topic.
Step 1 – Keyword Research
The first step in search engine optimization is researching the terms that your visitors are searching for. This is called “keyword research”. There are many tools that SEOs use to determine which keywords they should optimize your website for. Each company has it’s own system of doing this. At Altherr Web Design, we
- Brainstorm with the customer
We start by making a list of terms that we think customers are searching for. This is done by asking customers and working with you to come up with the most accurate terms.
- Use keyword research tools
These tools provide great lists of relevant keyphrases and estimates on how many people are searching each phrase.
- Analyzing competition and deciding which terms to use
Once we have a good list of keyphrases, we perform searches on the major search engines to see how much competition is out there for each of these keyphrases.
There’s an algorithm applied, by us, to the results of our test that give us a number, called the “KEI”. The KEI is based on the number of searches, competition, length of keyphrase, etc. This basically tells us the difficulty of optimizing that term.
Step 2 – Website Accessibility
There are many things that we do when we start working on the actual code of your website. We will give you a short list of examples of some of the things that we look for and correct to make sure your site is the best it can be for when the search spiders are ready to crawl your website.
- We view your domain registration length and age of your domain
- We check to see if your site has been banned previously
- We take a look at your hosting company to check its reliability
- We make sure your code is valid and can be properly displayed across all web browsers. We use the website validator at w3.org
- We canonicalize your url with the use of .htaccess redirects and absolute linking within your pages
- We make sure your site doesn’t have any broken links
- We check filenames to make sure they’re optimized as much as possible. For example, by using keywords and hyphens
- We use CSS to keep the existing style of your website, while making it more search engine friendly with the use of basic html tags
Step 3 – On-Page Optimization
After figuring out what keyphrases that we will be optimizing your website for, we need to add the keyphrases to your website. There are many places that we can add these tags, but we don’t ever want to over-optimize and be seen as spammy to the search engines. Usually, the rule is, if it doesn’t read correctly to a human then it’s not going to look right in the eyes of the search engines. Here is a list of examples that we may add keyphrases to your page
- Title Tags
- Meta Description Tag
- Meta Keywords Tag
- Heading Tags (h1,h2,etc.)
- Image Alt Tags
- Link Title Tags
- Internal Link Anchor Text
- Website Content
- Bolded and Italicized Text